Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Flying Solo


These (not great) photos are from the solo I performed at our open house. The dance is set to the Frank Sinatra song "That's Life" and is intended to be danced to a live female singer.


I have an idea for a larger piece of solo dances by women set to women singing songs by iconic male performers. I haven't decided if I want all Sinatra songs, or a Rat Pack Suite, or if I want to take an icon from several different decades.



This feels like a dance piece that will undergo many transformations before I am done with it. I would love to actually set it on students first, and workshop it a bit, and then set it on professionals.


I see a dark stage with a spotlight on the singer (perhaps lounging on a piano?) and a larger circle of light on the dancer. Both singer and dancer would be wearing black satin evening gowns in full glam getup. That's about as far as I've gotten, well, except for the already choreographed solo.

So if you were going to pick a song by a male icon to re-interpret from a woman's point of view, what would you choose?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sure if it's the actual song title, but Sinatra's "I Did It My Way"?

Anonymous said...

Wee Small Hours, by Sinatra. More because I love the tune than for the lyrics. I used to envision myself singing that song in front of an audience, nary a dry eye in the place. OK, I still have that fantasy. My last name IS Singer, you know!