Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Plie


These are my daughters. The littlest one has just started doing plies on command. She learned from her big sisters. Sometimes I wonder what their lives will be like growing up in the studio. I want them to love dancing, but I never want them to feel pressured to take dance classes. Of course right now they are excited and thrilled about taking classes, and I plan to let them. I just want them to know they they can always change their minds, and that we will never be upset or disappointed if they decide to not to take class anymore.

Yesterday was our first day of "office hours" (this week: Mon-Thurs 1-5 pm) and we fielded a few phone calls and walk-ins. It's funny, though, how after all the work we've been doing that being in the studio without building a barre or floor or painting something feels lazy.

I hope we get some more registrations for tap classes. I'm surprised they haven't filled more, but the jazz class and the creative dance classes seem to be the most popular right now. It's difficult to anticipate what people will want, and when, for the first time. I guess it will be a matter of guessing, and then readjusting for a few years (or more!) to create a schedule that works for the most people.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you think it could be because the others don't require special shoes? I'd guess that a lot of parents don't want to buy supplies for something their kid might lose interest in (not to mention outgrow the shoes). If we lived nearby, I would totally take tap, though. I took two lessons when I was 12 and I LOVED it.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the laziness. Cute pic!

Nif said...

Love the picture - they're breathtakingly beautiful! (And great that they're dancing, yay for them and you.) Good luck on abundance continuing...
xonif

Nora said...

Enrollment is always a nightmare. People enroll their kids in programs at the absolute last minute or after and then get upset if you cancel the class.I'm always trying to figure out whether or not a class will run, if we have enough kids to hire a teacher, etc. NOT my favorite part of my job...